Pack your bags! We're going around the globe... gluten-free!

When I was officially diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2009, one of my first thoughts was "how can I travel and see the world if I can't eat any good food?".

Then it hit me... If there was ever a good excuse to travel, this is the perfect one! Being gluten-free doesn’t have to mean taking something out of your diet. It can mean putting a lot more in... a never ending experiment. What better way to discover new food then to travel and look for it?

Now, I’m combining my love for travel with my love for gluten-free food and taking you on an adventure with me around the globe as we explore living and loving the gluten-free life.

Got your passport?


Monday, July 4, 2011

Nutritious Fast Food?

It does exist!

I recently discovered a great little site from a co-worker called Weelicious. I fell in love with it instantly because it prides itself on creating recipes that are “quick, easy and nutritious made using fresh, but minimal ingredients”. For those who lead a busy lifestyle, who wouldn’t love this site? The other thing that I loved is that it holds an educational piece for families. The author of the blog (and mother of 2), Catherine McCord, encourages readers to teach their children about healthy food and make cooking a family affair that becomes fun for everyone!

This website holds recipes that are great for any age (from infants starting on solid foods to school-age kids and even adults) and includes a ‘search by food group’ section that includes recipes that are gluten free. I have tried a number of different recipes from this site and would love to share some of my favorites with you:

Thai Curry Cellophane Noodles (see picture below)
Kale and Avocado Salad
Chewy Granola Balls
Roasted Honey & Cinnamon Chickpeas

Both the chewy granola balls and roasted honey and cinnamon chickpeas were crowd pleasers amongst my friends and family and will definitely appear at many social gatherings to come. Plus, they took minimal time to make and are creations you can scrape together with little notice. I am often a fan of using agave nectar in sweet treats and substituted agave nectar for the honey in the chickpeas recipe which worked out fabulous. Give it a try and let me know what you think.



Happy experimenting!

The GF Passport

No comments:

Post a Comment