Pack your bags! We're going around the globe... gluten-free!

When I was officially diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2009, one of my first thoughts was "how can I travel and see the world if I can't eat any good food?".

Then it hit me... If there was ever a good excuse to travel, this is the perfect one! Being gluten-free doesn’t have to mean taking something out of your diet. It can mean putting a lot more in... a never ending experiment. What better way to discover new food then to travel and look for it?

Now, I’m combining my love for travel with my love for gluten-free food and taking you on an adventure with me around the globe as we explore living and loving the gluten-free life.

Got your passport?


Monday, May 23, 2011

Cheese... a necessity in life

If I could only choose to eat one type of food for the rest of my life, it would be cheese. If I were to have the last meal of my life, you bet it would be cheese (paired with a great glass of wine of course). Cheese is hands down a staple food in my life and I'm quite passionate about it. It doesn't really matter what kind, I just love them all!

When traveling to Thailand in 2009, cheese was not something I saw very often and when I did, it was for breakfast when I ordered a cheese omelet. For lack of a better description, a cheese omelet in Thailand is basically scrambled eggs with a plastic Kraft singles slice served on top. Not exactly what anyone would hope for. I quickly found that cheese was not a staple in the Thai diet and was hard to come by. So for the 2 months I travelled in Thailand, I went cheese-less. For those of you who ever travel to Thailand, note this in your travels there.

On my way over to Australia last summer, my girlfriend and I stopped over in California for a few days. We stayed in Santa Monica right off of Ocean Ave and found a great little weekend market in the streets. Markets are truly hidden gems. The reason I love them so much is because when you are traveling, you rarely plan on finding them, but rather, they find you and you always find great things there. You can find great food (both fresh and exotic), clothing, crafts, jewelry.... and you even find great people. At this Santa Monica market in particular, I happened to find the best cheese! While walking through looking for some lunch, we came across the Spring Hill Cheese Company stand. We sampled numerous different cheese samples including some flavors that were completely new to us...smokey jack and garlic jack. Truly in my glory sampling as much cheese as I could, I didn't think it could truly get any better. But just then, I found my ultimate favorite cheese...... vanilla bean! More of a creamy cheese dip then anything, it really did melt once it hit your lips. Pairing perfectly with fresh fruit, we bought the biggest tub of vanilla bean cheese dip we could get our hands on, bought some some fresh strawberries and hit the beach to indulge. We didn't make it very far before noticing we had finished the whole tub of cheese and though we felt a touch embarrassed for stuffing our faces, we both agreed that it was worth every scoop! For those traveling to Santa Monica, CA, I urge you to look out for the Spring Hill Cheese stand and try the vanilla bean cheese dip for yourselves. I promise, you won't be disappointed! Check them out online, they also accept online orders (for cheese fiends, it's dangerous, I know).

More cheese please,

The Gluten-Free Passport

No comments:

Post a Comment