Pack your bags! We're going around the globe... gluten-free!

When I was officially diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2009, one of my first thoughts was "how can I travel and see the world if I can't eat any good food?".

Then it hit me... If there was ever a good excuse to travel, this is the perfect one! Being gluten-free doesn’t have to mean taking something out of your diet. It can mean putting a lot more in... a never ending experiment. What better way to discover new food then to travel and look for it?

Now, I’m combining my love for travel with my love for gluten-free food and taking you on an adventure with me around the globe as we explore living and loving the gluten-free life.

Got your passport?


Monday, January 3, 2011

Once called "Banana Babies"

In October, I went to a friend's wedding (congratulations again Corey and Mac!) where I met another woman who was a Celiac just like me. I was immediately thrilled and so, we got talking. When I had asked her how long she’d been gluten free for, she replied “since I was born” and shared a story with me that I was not yet familiar with. I've always been wondering how this gluten-free phenomenon came about. Well, here's a bit of history...

When she was born in the 1950’s, Celiac Disease was not yet well known or even heard of. Just a few months old, she became very sick and the doctor had told her parents that she didn’t have long to live because her body was strangely not able to hold down any food. She was hospitalized as the doctor tried feeding her a variety of foods that kept failing. Until, one day they fed her bananas. Miraculously, of all the food they had tried, this was the only one that her body accepted. She was deemed a “banana baby” as the doctors believed that the only thing she would ever be allowed to eat was bananas. Imagine only being able to eat bananas for the rest of your life? This theory was quite common around the 50's and 60's and so, the banana baby generation began.

Later on, she was officially diagnosed with what doctors revealed as Celiac Disease but continued to struggle throughout her life because it was believed that you could outgrow the disease and go back to a normal diet.

Mythbuster: We all know today that once you have been diagnosed as a Celiac, you become a Celiac for life. Once a Celiac, always a Celiac.

What most people today don’t realize is the severity and true meaning of what being a Celiac is all about. For example, if you have a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and you are exposed to them, this can cause an immediate and deadly allergic reaction. If someone who is Celiac eats gluten (anything containing wheat, barley or rye), they also experience immediate symptoms (I hate to say it...bloating, chronic diarrhea and constant fatigue) that though, do not seem life-threatening, actually are in the long-term. Failing to stick to this diet only leads to more years of pain not to mention the deterioration of your digestive system that will knock off years of your life. My question to you is: If we now have the power, the resources and the knowledge available to us to live the longest and fullest life, why not take advantage of it? If eating gluten free means that I live an extra 5 years, bring it on!

For my new-found Celiac friend at the wedding, though it took her years of trying to fully understand and become familiar with this disease, she was able to finally reach her full potential again. Best of all, she is able to maintain it. She is strong, healthy, a breath of fresh air and a great role model for others living gluten free. I’m glad to be sharing her story with you.

Long live the Banana Babies of the world!

The Gluten Free Passport

No comments:

Post a Comment